Community Garden Pollination Program
Growing food in community and school gardens can provide more access to healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables. Our Community Garden Pollination Program encourages community and school garden organizers to raise awareness of solitary bees by installing bee houses and providing educational programming to their communities. Organizations and educational agencies receive specialized discounts on Crown Bees products (including bees), program updates, free access to high-quality educational materials to use in community and school gardens.
WHY INCLUDE SOLITARY BEES IN YOUR GARDEN
Most people are unaware of solitary cavity-nesting bees, and this program is a beautiful way to introduce these super-pollinators to your community. By placing a solitary bee house in your garden, you'll pique interest, educate the public, and raise awareness of some of our most important pollinators.
The spring mason bees and summer leafcutter bees that we offer are perfect for school and community gardens because:
- Solitary bees are docile and rarely sting, making them safe around children, families, and pets. On the off chance they do sting, the pain is mild and similar to a mosquito bite.
- Solitary bees are more efficient pollinators of certain plants and crops than honey bees and have been shown to increase crop yields. Rising garden yields may help provide food access to a higher number of community members.
- Urban gardens can play an essential role in pollination conservation. Bees need the pollen and nectar that flowers provide, and flowers need bees' pollination services.
- Raising solitary bees is a way for people of all ages to learn about the pollination services of bees, connect with nature, and contribute to solitary bee conservation efforts.
1. To highlight the importance and role of solitary bees in food production and ecosystem services and create awareness within the community of the need to conserve solitary, wild bees.
2. To increase access to healthy fruits and vegetables in food-insecure areas by using solitary bees to increase crop yields of school and community gardens across the country.
3. To provide high-quality educational resources and activities, at no cost, to help organizations and educational agencies raise awareness within their communities of the benefits of solitary bees.
HOW IT WORKS
1. Fill out the application form below, and once approved, you'll receive 15% off all Crown Bees' products, including bees.
2. Check out our Getting Started: What You Need to help you plan what bee-raising supplies you'll need based on the size and purpose of your garden. If you're new to solitary bee raising, browse our Bee Knowledgeable resource library to help you learn everything you'll need to know to be successful.
3. Visit our Resources for Educators page to access and download FREE teaching materials and activities. Use these resources to teach your community about the vital role of solitary bees in food production.
4. As part of our community and school garden program, you'll receive bi-monthly newsletters (6/year) that will highlight solitary bee tips, reminders, and educational materials.
Garden visitors are sure to fall in love with these gentle pollinators! Please feel free to send success stories or questions to email@example.com.