Upgrade your spring or summer pollination! Just add your choice of natural reeds or reusable wood trays and either mason or leafcutter bee cocoons to your bee house. Save vs purchase of individual items!
Our DIY Upgrade Kits have all nesting materials, accessories and bees, and are missing just the house. Select from spring or summer kits that include either natural reeds or reusable wood trays. Complete Kits ship year-round and nesting materials, booklet, and accessories ship at time of order. Bee cocoons will ship in season on the Monday bee ship date you select.
Our Garden Upgrade Kits fit inside all our bee houses and DIY bee houses. If you have a DIY bee house, make sure it is at least 6" deep and 5.75" wide for wood trays. Natural reeds will fit in any DIY house at least 6" deep.
Note: The nesting materials included in our Upgrade Kits will NOT fill the house entirely. The bit of open space between the nesting materials and the roof allows for easy placement and removal of the nesting materials and allows room for you to be creative. Some people choose to fill the gap with colorful artistic materials, and others choose to purchase additional nesting materials to fill the space. The choice is yours!
- Spring mason bees are super pollinators of apples, cherries, plums, blueberries, and strawberries - just about any spring-blooming flower.
- Our spring mason bees are gentle solitary bees who only fly about 300 feet daily as they forage for nectar and pollen. They are easy to raise bees who prefer 8mm sized nesting materials and use moist clay-rich mud to build their protective nest chamber walls.
- Summer leafcutter bees are super pollinators of tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, and peas - just about any flower.
- Our summer leafcutter bees are gentle solitary bees who only fly about 300 feet daily as they forage for nectar and pollen. They are easy to raise bees who prefer 6mm sized cavities and use soft pliable leaves like those of rose, hosta, lilac, pea, bean, and strawberry to build their protective leafy cocoons.
- You can reuse your spring mason bee house to raise summer leafcutter bees. Just place your choice of the 6mm leafcutter bee nesting materials into the house and add leafcutter cocoons! Or add the summer kit to your DIY bee house.
Select the Monday bee ship date that is closest to when your summer blooms open and your weather is consistently 75F/24C and above.