Wild Bees

Among the 20,000+ bee species worldwide, less than 10% are social bees like honey bees and bumble bees. The remaining 90% are solitary bees, living independently without colonies, queens, or workers. Each solitary female bee builds her nest, gathers pollen and nectar, and lays her eggs to emerge next season.

Globally, 75% of solitary bee species nest in the ground, laying their eggs in tunnels just below the surface. The other 25% are cavity-nesting bees, which build nests in tunnels left by insects, hollow plant stems, and artificial bee houses. Unlike some wood-boring insects, most cavity-nesting bees use pre-made holes, ensuring they don't damage your deck or home.

Wild Native Bee Resource Library