Feeding Early Emerged Bees
Early Spring? Releasing Cocoons
Releasing, or setting out cocoons into your bee house, is easy! The mason bees will chew out of their cocoons, fly, and return to the bee house to choose their nesting hole.
• Check your 10-day forecast: bees need consistent 55F/13C, open blooms, and sun to fly
• Stagger your release: try setting out 1/2 or 1/3 of your cocoons, wait a week or two & repeat
• Set out small (male) + large (female) cocoons
• Windy? Put cocoons into a small paper cup and tuck into the back of the house
• Always keep bee cocoons out of direct sunlight!