Add our Bee Observer nesting tray to your Chalet, Cabin, Townhouse, or Tower bee house and watch female bees build their nests. The clear window allows you watch mason bee larvae develop or leafcutter bees emerge and return to nest again.
Lifestyle photos may not accurately depict what is included with this product. Please make sure to read the specifications below.
- 1 Bee Observer Drawer
- 1 Wood Nesting Tray with acrylic lid:
- Mason Bee Observer - 8mm Tray or Leafcutter Bee Observer - 6mm Tray
- Size: 1.25” H x 5.75”W x 6.25” D
- Mason Bee Observer - 8mm Tray: You can watch female mason bees build mud walls and pollen loaves for each egg in the spring. Once the female bees stop nesting, remove the Bee Observer and watch the mason bee larvae eat, grow, and spin their cocoons. You can also see pests like pollen mites or chalkbrood develop! Just remember to store in a safe area that mimics outdoor temps (necessary for development) — conditioned air in your home or classroom could disrupt development.
- Leafcutter Bee Observer - 6mm Tray: You can watch female leafcutter bees build their protective leafy cocoons. You can also watch as second or third-generation leafcutter bees emerge and return to build their own nests. Different species of native summer bees or beneficial wasps may also move into your Leafcutter Bee Observer nesting tray.
- An educational and fun way to learn about solitary bees
- Bee Observer Drawer gives bees the naturally dark nesting environment they prefer
- Wood Nesting Tray slides out easily for periodic observation.
- Female bees tend to nest along the bottom edge first. Place Bee Observer under your favorite nesting materials to improve nesting. To protect the bee observer from warping due to rain that may have collected at the bottom of your bee house, elevate the observer with a few thin sticks, dowels, or even pencils.
- Removable acrylic lid for cocoon harvest
- Designed to fit perfectly in our Chalet, Townhouse, and Tower bee houses
To add the Bee Observer nesting tray to your homemade DIY bee house, ensure that your bee house is at least 8" deep to protect the nesting tray from rain. To protect the bee observer from warping due to rain that may have collected at the bottom of your bee house, elevate the observer with a few thin sticks, dowels, or even pencils.