Protect your bees while they emerge from their cocoons. Our Bee Cocoon Hatchery keeps your bee cocoons safe from birds, sun, wind, and rain.
Spring mason bees and summer leafcutter bees hibernate in cocoons and it takes time for them to emerge. Bees rely on temperature and weather cues to wake from hibernation. Emerging from cocoons can take several days as the bees chew their way out of their cocoons.
Lifestyle photos may not accurately depict what is included with this product. Please make sure to read the specifications below.
- Cedar face
- 5/16" (8mm) exit hole drilled through
- Drawer Pull
- Plastic inner tray to hold bee cocoons
The Bee Cocoon Hatchery protects cocoons from:
- Sunlight: Direct sun can kill your bee cocoons.
- Wind: Bee cocoons are small and lightweight.
- Rain: Some bee species cocoons are not waterproof.
- Predators: Birds and squirrels are attracted to bee cocoons.
To use, simply place your bee cocoons in the hatchery's drawer and slide the hatchery into the attic of your Chalet or Tower Bee House. The hatchery can hold up to 400 mason or leafcutter bee cocoons. The hatchery also protects wild bee cocoons during emergence.